Monday, September 26, 2016

DPH to Declare BART's Radulovich Plaza a Disaster Zone?



After two-months of observing the poor sanitary conditions at BART's 16th Street station, and getting improvements out of various public and private agencies, it's time to push the Department of Public Health to declare the plaza a disaster zone.

This video shows my second appearance at the Health Commission, petitioning DPH boss Barbara Garcia to address my various concerns related to public health in general at Radulovich Plaza, in the first minutes of the tape.

In the last half, after hearing the report on wellness outcomes of low-income, people of color and all races of residents of SRO hotel, I plead for DPH to sanitize the plaza to improve the wellness of this population that hangs out there.

The day after the meeting, Tomás J. Aragón, MD, DrPH, who's the director for population health, emailed me:

"Director Barbara Garcia has asked me to assist you with the problems you have identified at the 16th & Mission BART area. Can you briefly itemize the keys issues for us? An Environmental Health inspector and I will come and meet with you at the site."

[I sent back a dozen items on my list of concerns and Aragon replied.]

"Thank you for the detailed email. We will review with our staff and get back to you."

I'm looking forward to the inspection of the plaza with DPH directors. Stay tuned for further developments and remember to vote for zealous Petrelis for BART board in District 9.

No comments: