Tuesday, September 06, 2016

BART Forum on 9/12; Why 1 Candidate Won't Sign A Positive Pledge


The news today on the campaign trail for BART's District 9 seat starts with details from an important public advocacy organization, whom I can't thank enough for their general work and now hosting a forum:

"Hello. We at the San Francisco Transit Riders would like to invite you to a forum for the BART Board Director candidates in San Francisco districts.

"At the forum you will make short statements and respond to questions from the Transit Riders and from the public. We will host the event next week during SFTR's Transit Week. We are still working on finding a location to host the event.

"We will be inviting the candidates of BART's District 7 in addition to you the District 9 candidates.

"We have reserved a space for the SFTR BART Board election forum. The event will be held the evening of Monday, Sept 12 at the Mission Pool & Playground clubhouse at 3555 - 19th Street near Valencia."


Among us candidates, the news is that only Bevan Dufty and I have signed a positive campaign pledge, while Gwyneth Borden won't join this small project I've pursued with my opponents:

"I appreciate your efforts and don't believe in personal attacks. My campaign will focus on issues most important to BART riders, educating voters about my experience, qualifications, and goals as a BART Director.

"With that said, I'm going to politely decline your offer to sign this pledge. Ultimately, history is not on the side of African American women who play by the rules.

"And as Tess McGill said, the character in my favorite movie, 'Working Girl': "You can bend the rules plenty once you get to the top, but not while you're trying to get there. And if you're someone like me, you can't get there without bending the rules;)"

See you all on Monday, September 12, time to be announced for the SF Transit Riders forum. It's gonna be fun and informative!

No comments: