Friday, March 06, 2015

Board of Supes Prez Breed Violating SF Sunshine Law?

Follow my email trail regarding an important public records request.


From: MPetrelis@aol.com
Sent: Sun, Feb 22, 2015 12:17 am
Subject: IDR: Calendars from Jan. 2014 thru the end of Jan. 2015

Dear London Breed, Conor Johnston and Vallie Brown,

This is an immediate disclosure request for an electronic copy of your work calendars from January 1, 2014, through January 31, 2015, and please include the names of people you met with and the organizations they work for or represent.

What I am asking for is the same as what I requested and received in less than 24-hours from John Avalos and two of his staffers. Read my post about Avalos' compliance with my request here, with a link to his 130-page pages of calendar info. If you have any questions, shoot them over to me via email.

Please confirm receipt of this request by the close of business on Monday, Feb. 23.

Reply from Breed's aide:

Sent: Tue, Feb 24, 2015 1:53 pm
Subject: RE: IDR: Calendars from Jan. 2014 thru the end of Jan. 2015
Because of the voluminous nature of the documents that we will need to search to respond to your request, and because of the need to consult with another interested department, we are in invoking an extension under Administrative Code section 67.25(b).  You will have a response by March 8.
 
Conor Johnston
Office of Supervisor London Breed
President of the Board of Supervisors

Me back to him:

Sent: Tue, Feb 24, 2015 2:01 pm
Subject: BOS prez reply -Re: IDR: Calendars from Jan. 2014 thru the end of Jan. 2015
Dear Conor Johnston,
 
I have received your reply and look forward to your office responding with the public records requested by March 8th. 
 
FYI, I wish point out that Sup. John Avalos's office responded to a similar request from me in less than 24-hours and I was provided with voluminous records. Avalos's staff sent me a 130 page document. 
 
As a member of the public with no affiliation to Avalos, I wish to suggest you contact his office for assistance about producing calendars in a day or so.

Me to Breed's office again:

Thursday, March 05, 2015 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: BOS prez reply -Re: IDR: Calendars from Jan. 2014 thru the end of Jan. 2015
 
Dear Mr. Johnston,

It is my understanding that the clock started ticking on Monday, Feb. 23rd, and that you should be responding to me with responsive records by tomorrow, Friday, March 6th.

If you have a differing opinion, please let me know. It would be most usual, but nevertheless quite welcome, if you were working on Sunday, March 8th, and sending the records on a weekend.

Finally, I wish to request that all records be provided to me in a PDF. Is that possible?

His response:

Sent: Thu, Mar 5, 2015 5:29 pm
Subject: RE: BOS prez reply -Re: IDR: Calendars from Jan. 2014 thru the end of Jan. 2015

14 days from Monday 2/23 is Monday 3/9.  We will give hard copies to the Clerk’s office.
 
Conor Johnston
Office of Supervisor London Breed
President of the Board of Supervisors

My turn to reply:

Sent: Thu, Mar 5, 2015 5:40 pm
Subject: Re: BOS prez reply -Re: IDR: Calendars from Jan. 2014 thru the end of Jan. 2015

Dear Mr. Johnston,

So you're pushing back the release date one more day? Please explain why.

Also, you can provide any and all records to Ms. Calvillo's office, however, my request was to Ms. Breed, which I believe means she or her aide must provide me with responsive records.

Please clarify if you will not comply with the sunshine laws regarding directly providing the requester with responsive records.

When I didn't hear back from Breed's office, I filed a Sunshine Ordinance Task Force complaint and received this response from their administrator:

From: SOTF (BOS)
Sent: Fri, Mar 6, 2015 12:42 pm
Subject: RE: SOTF complaint -Re: BOS prez reply -Re: IDR: Calendars from Jan. 2014 thru the end of Jan. 2015

Mr. Petrelis:

I am in receipt of your complaint and will process it accordingly.  Thank you.  Victor Young    

Interesting email trail, wouldn't you say? We'll see what Breed's office does on Monday and find out to whom she sends the responsive records.

No comments: