Thursday, December 06, 2012

CDC Confirms 'Review' of NAPWA

Here's a bit of followup to my post over the weekend about the leadership and financial crises at the National Association of People With AIDS, based in Silver Springs, Maryland.

First, a spokeswoman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Salina Cranor, emailed this terse confirmation to me yesterday:

CDC is aware of the allegations and is reviewing the use of CDC grant funds by the organization. That’s all of the information I have at this time.

I replied to her with questions about when the review is expected to end and if the public will soon learn what was uncovered, if anything, from the review.

Second, I've also heard from David Paulson, the spokesman for the Maryland Attorney General's office, about the NAPWA troubles and he replied:

We can neither confirm or deny the existence of an investigation.

I've also emailed Tyler TerMeer, the president of the NAPWA board, for a response to the crises at the nonprofit and so far have not heard back from him. Let's hope between NAPWA and the CDC that more details soon emerge about the review.

No comments: