Monday, April 14, 2008


Gay NYT Shareholder: Let Me
Address Annual Meeting Via the Web

I own exactly one measly share in the New York Times Company because I wanted the privilege of attending the annual shareholders meeting and raising gays issues with the executives of the paper, which I did at the 2004 annual meeting. This year, I am unable to travel to New York City for the meeting, so I'm requesting the Times, with its vast technological capabilities, wires me into the meeting, without me leaving my apartment. Got my fingers crossed the Times will accommodate my request.

This message was sent today:
Arthur Sulzberger, Jr.
Chairman
The New York Times Company

Dear Mr. Sulzberger,

As a shareholder, I wish to thank you for inviting me to attend the annual stockholders' meeting on April 22 at the Times' new headquarters in Manhattan.

Unfortunately, due to financial and personal health concerns, I regret that I will not be able to be at the meeting.

However, even though I cannot physically be present, I still would very much like to be an active participant during the meeting.

In your letter to the shareholders in the annual report, you said the new Times building "includes the technology we need as a 21st century media organization."

I hope the technology in the building will allow me to observe the meeting live, as it is unfolding, through web-casting.

Also, I want to address the board of directors and the senior management of the company, either via web-cam or through tele-conferencing, regarding important gay and HIV/AIDS matters.

Just because I will be at home in San Francisco on April 22, that should in no way prevent me from listening in and watching the annual meeting, and directly speaking to the board and management team.

Frankly, I see no reason why the Times, and its new building, replete with the latest communications technologies, shouldn't be able to easily accommodate my request to interact with you and other Times executives during the meeting.

Please get back to me as soon as possible so we can work together to make sure my voice is heard on April 22.

Sincerely yours,
Michael Petrelis

No comments: