Wednesday, January 09, 2013

WTF, ATF? My Note & Agency 'Support' of Ammo Industry

Two days before the Christmas holiday, I turned my grief over the Sandy Hook massacre into action and emailed the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives opposing their consideration to exempt armor piercing ammo from expanded regulation and control. The blog post with my public comment is here.

In response, the federal agency sent an automated reply that upset me because it revealed one tiny but crucial way in which they are beholden to Guns & Ammo Inc. The emphasis is mine:

Thank you for your comments referencing the ATF Broadcast on Armor Piercing Ammunition. Your assistance will further promote ATF’s ability to support the firearms industry. We will review and consider your comments and suggestions. All comments are subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

Just what the eff, ATF? No way was I offering assistance in my comments to help you in any way support the very industry I believe should be more scrutinized and restricted.

Count me among the Americans who demand President Obama and Veep Biden transform the ATF from an industry lapdog and into a tough watchdog ending it's too-cozy friendliness with the manufacturers, appoint a permanent director to run the agency, spend political capital and be fully prepared to get the designee through Senate confirmation hearings and curb gun violence. 

1 comment:

Rusty said...

Here's a link to an amazing TV interview with a well-known gun-freedom advocate.

http://www.upworthy.com/angry-gun-advocate-loses-it-live-on-cnn-in-the-most-bizarre-interview-ever