Sunday, August 31, 2014

Mike & Mike: No Campaigning At 'Into the Woods'


At the risk of providing oppo research to the incumbent Supervisor, I wish to make a public confession. Until last month, I'd never seen a production of Stephen Sondheim's "Into the Woods" and was familiar with the musical only through listening to the original Broadway cast recording.

I know, both my Sondheim Club and Showtune Queen Cards were in jeopardy of being canceled, but thankfully that's no longer the situation. Still, there may be a hit-piece mailer in the works over this gay transgression. So be it!

My husband Mike's birthday was in July and I bought us orchestra tickets to the San Francisco Playhouse company's fantastic production of "Into the Woods", playing just off Union Square.

One of the best aspects of our partnership is how Mike and I make preparations before leaving the apartment, for a date with each other, getting to the theater separately, he takes Muni and I ride my bike, then meeting in the lobby. Adds to the "date" aspect of it all.

We adored the show and the performers and musicians were all top-notch. Real-life twin sisters play Cinderella's step-sisters, the Witch is a powerhouse African-American singer who stopped the show when she revealed a sizzling dominatrix costume under her tattered robe, the Baker is a handsome bear/dancer/singer charmer and the music was performed by an eight-piece band.

Since seeing the show, we've played the CD often and now anxiously await the arrival of Disney's film version in December starring Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp. Be smart and get tickets today to the SF Playhouse show before it closes in September.

I'll get back to campaign related posts soon enough, but just want everyone to know spending quality, entertaining time with Mike at a terrific production of this Sondheim work was the best birthday present to share with each other.

No comments: