Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I'm 64 in Gay Years: Still Need Me?

Technically speaking, I'm 51-years young today. But in gay years, I'm really 64. Look, as a gay man who survived sex, drugs and rock 'n roll in late 1970s San Francisco and then the 1980s in New York City, I deserve to add a few years to my age. Plus I wanted a reason to reference the Beatles' "When I'm Sixty-Four" classic song.

What are the most important presents I'm receiving today? From myself, I've received the gift of another day of no cigarette smoking. I quit the tobacco habit in July 2008 and it's a breathe of life to be cigarette-free.

The other great gift is my partner Mike Merrigan, my life-mate almost 15 years, who every day shares his love and happiness with me. I am blessed that Mike continues to make me laugh and smile, even when my sometimes crazy life becomes skewed or hard-edged.

The lads from Liverpool famously asked these questions, that lovers everywhere ask themselves:

If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

My hus-bear has never locked me out when I've come home that late, and he still needs and feeds me, as I metaphorically turn sixty-four. Who could ask for more?

Btw, today is also Ellen Degeneres' birthday. She's turning 52 today. Happy birthday, girl!

2 comments:

DavidEhrenstein said...

Well I'll be 63 on the 18th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ8kMbMpQbo

Unknown said...

happy birthday to you, david. ain't it great to be alive and kicking? yes, it is!