Thursday, June 20, 2013

Trans Diva Fimbres: SFPD Chief Giving Me Away At City Hall Wedding


When my cherished longtime friend, renowned diva and transgender activist colleague Veronika Fimbres, pictured, informed recently she was getting married again, I humorously asked if she was trying to break Elizabeth Taylor-Hilton-Wilding-Todd-Fisher-Burton-Burton-Warner-Fortensky's record for number of marriages.



She said no, she wasn't trying to follow in Taylor's footsteps and that she and her hubby-to-be Randy Brad Dolphin, pictured, are in love and want to get hitched. Her current full name is Veronika Lee-Tillman, Nichols, Cauley, Hernandez, Paker, Fimbres, and she plans to go by Veronika Fimbres after her June wedding.



I was surprised when Veronika mentioned her friend Greg Suhr, pictured, San Francisco's Chief of Police was giving her away, only because I wasn't aware of their friendship. Only in San Francisco can we have a diva transwoman getting married at City Hall during Pride season and the police chief giving her away to her spouse.

Congratulations to the happy couple! Here are the details from Veronika:

Michael, my husband Randy Brad Dolphin would love to have you write about our impending marriage.

Our upcoming nuptials will happen in the City Hall Grand Rotunda on Friday, June 28th at 11:30 am. All are invited to attend the 15 minute ceremony and ring exchange, where my friend and our Police Chief Greg Suhr will be giving me away for my parents, Mr. & Mrs. Robert Paul Curd who are unable to attend the happy ceremony.

Chief Suhr offered us this blessing: "I am very happy for Veronika. She is a lovely lady and her guy is very lucky to have found her. It was a surprise when she asked me to give her away but a pleasure to have the honor of being able to do it. I wish the new couple many happy years together."

I am wearing a white designer jacket with a fabulous hat that resembles a veil, a stylish short black skirt and divine black cupcake heels. My husband loves lilacs, so I will carry a bouquet of them, with a "bling-bling" encrusted handle. To honor my African-American heritage we will be "jumping the broom" and a yet-to-be-determined way to honor my Native American ancestors as well.

The reception will be on Sunday, June 30 and attended by hundreds of thousands of people as it will be the LGBT Pride Parade, where I will be an honored and proud Grand Marshal. My new spouse Randy and I will ride up Market Street, sharing our wedded bliss as we wave to the crowds.

I have been a member of the U.S. Navy, a registered nurse and a Trans and LGBT community organizer for over thirty years. I was born in Detroit, Michigan. My spouse, Randy Brad Dolphin, also a U.S. Navy veteran, formerly worked for more than three-decades at the Ford Motor Company. He was born in Boise, Idaho. We met thirty-nine years ago when we both were in the military.

We will honeymoon first in the Sonoma Wine Country before spending a week in Las Vegas at the Bellagio Hotel.

Duane Cramer will be the official photographer, and Tony De Renzo will be the videographer. In lieu of gifts, the couple ask that donations be made to the AIDS Housing Alliance, SF.

No comments: