Tuesday, September 20, 2011

2 Castro News Racks Removed:
Temporarily or Permanently?


About two week ago, on my way to the monthly public meeting of the Castro Benefit District at the Bank of America community room I had to pass renovation work taking place in the plaza fronting the entrance and was very happy to see the two large almost-empty news racks usually cluttering up the sidewalk were gone.

Word on the street is that the plaza is being altered for full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and no one I've asked knows if the unnecessary news racks will return.

The photo above was taken two weeks back, but when I was in the Castro on Sunday I noticed the renovation work on the sidewalk appeared to be complete and no news racks were back taking up precious public space needed more for pedestrians than useless street furniture.

Nothing would please me more to learn the two news racks are permanently gone and not returning to the Bank of America plaza. Let's reclaim the Castro's sidewalks for people and reduce the number of pieces of street furniture hogging public space.

No comments: