Friday, October 14, 2005

Oops: Bush, Troops Photo-op; NYT Clarifies

My lesbian girlfriend, Ann Northrop of New York City, writes to inform me that I made an error in my post yesterday about Bush's choreographed tele-conference with troops in Iraq. I said Sergeant Lombardo is a man. Lombardo is a female member of the armed services.

Also, Catherine Mathis, communications director for the New York Times, emailed the following clarification:

In a message dated 10/14/2005 6:18:27 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, mathis@nytimes.com writes:
Dear Mr. Petrelis,

Our current chairman, Arthur Sulzberger Jr., did not make a contribution to
Mr. Vallone's campaign. His father, who retired as chairman in 1997 and
became chairman emeritus at that time, did.

Sincerely,

Catherine Mathis
VP, Corporate Communications
The New York Times Company
Always nice to hear back from the Gray Lady, even though I didn't say the 2000 donation came from Sulzberger Jr. I simply shared the listing from the N.Y.C. board of elections, which also didn't claim the donation was from Sulzberger Jr. Me thinks the Times is very sensitive about such contributions. Here's what I posted:

Candidate: Vallone, Peter (ID: B1) Election Cycle: 2001 Classification: Participant Office: Mayor

SULZBERGER, ARTHUR O
NEW YORK, NY 10028
THE NEW YORK TIMES CO.
229 W 43RD STREET
NEW YORK, NY
Occupation: CHAIRMAN 09/27/2000
$250

No comments: