Sunday, March 23, 2008

Solidarity With Polish Gays;
Photos Needed
At today's Easter service at my house of worship, St. Francis Lutheran Church, I asked for volunteers to be photographed holding sign reading "Solidarity With Polish Gays" during coffee hour after mass.
Now is the time to show all of Poland that Polish gays enjoy the solidarity of friends and supporters in the US, and one way to engage in solidarity is through sharing pictures on the web, I said to the congregation.
During coffer hour, friends approached and asked to have me snap photos of them holding the signs, and I happily obliged. Apologies for the few fuzzy images. My camera malfunctioned, but regardless of them being slightly out of focus, I've included them.
On Monday, March 24, one of the American gays in the video, longtime activist Brendan Fey, and Polish gay leader Danial Domagala will appear at a news conference at the New York offices of Human Rights Watch, an event which should generate media attention domestically and abroad.
And this week could turn into one in which gay people and human rights supporters express public solidarity with Poland's very brave gay community, with the participation of just a handful of people.
I'm asking everyone to create a sign, in any language, with the simple yet powerful message of "Solidarity With Polish Gays!" Then gather with friends, take a great photo of yourselves with the message, and send me one photo, which I'll add here.
Let's all show our gay family in Poland, and the country's divisive and homophobic politicians, widespread support for Polish gays and their struggling campaign for acceptance, equality and basic human love.
So send me a photo, please!








1 comment:

ks. bp Szymon Niemiec said...

Dear Friends,
Thanks for you idea.
I am very proud that we have so many friends outside our country.
We really need your support.

Szymon Niemiec
"Friends of Szymon" Foundation
http://www.friendsofszymon.org