Thursday, August 25, 2005

Metro Weekly: Why Iran Matters & Gays Should Oppose the Death Penalty

Here is an excerpt of my column on why I'm concerned over the plight of Iranian gays and lesbians and the need for gays to oppose the death penalty. Many thanks to Metro Weekly and its editor Sean Bugg, for not only running the piece, but for also making many fine edits.
^^^


Why Iran Matters
Opinion: Town Square
by Michael Petrelis
Published on 08/25/2005

A friend and I were recently shooting the breeze over a pot of coffee when he asked me a question that stopped me in my tracks and put me on the defensive.

''Why are you so upset over Iran executing two boys convicted of rape? Even if they were gay, I wouldn't waste my time worrying about their deaths or gays in Iran,'' said my friend Bob.

Seeing the graphic images on the web of Mahmoud Asgari and Ayaz Marhoni with blindfolds covering their eyes and nooses tightening around their young necks, moments before their gruesome public hangings in Mashad on July 19, stirred my conscience as a gay human rights activist who believes capital punishment should be abolished.

[snip]

No comments: