Friday, June 23, 2006



Cheney Ducks Gay Questions, Plugs Mary's Book on CNN

Kudos to CNN's John King for raising questions yesterday in his interview with Dick Cheney about same-sex marriage and his views on the subject, which are at odds with how Bush and the GOP look at gays and lesbians getting hitched. Cheney, who had no problem answering questions about Iraq, the insurgency, other global issues, the supposedly less-than-tough Democrats, etc., etc., avoided addressing the gay questions.

From the White House transcript:

Q Let me ask you another question. Your daughter recently wrote a book in which she discussed her role in your campaign but, also, her decision, some time ago in her life, to come to you and Mrs. Cheney and disclose that she was a lesbian. And she has issues with the Republican Party on the issue of same sex marriage, and she wrote this, "If the Republican Party fails to come around on this issue -- same-sex marriage -- I believe it will find itself on the wrong side of history, and on a sharp decline into irrelevance."

Do you agree with your daughter Mary on that?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I've got great love and affection for my daughter, obviously. I think it's a very good book, and I'd recommend people read it.

Q I'm going to make another attempt at it. The President urged the Senate to vote on this constitutional amendment. Senator Frist, a leader in the party, someone who may run for the presidency, brought this amendment up, is that a mistake?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I made my views known a long time ago, John, that I think that the fact that the states have traditionally been the ones that regulate marriage is a procedure that I think is the right way to go. I think that it ought to be a state matter, a state function. That's not new to anybody. The President sets policy for the administration, and I support the President.


How nice of Daddy Dick to shill for Mary's bomb of a book that has sold less than 6,000 copies. Even with such promotion by Cheney, don't expect Mary's book to rise on the best-seller lists.

No comments: