Sunday, August 07, 2005

State Dept Denies Gay Blogger Press Credentials

Sean McCormack
Deputy Secretary
Press and Public Affairs
State Department
Washington, DC

Dear Mr. McCormack:

Please be informed that this letter serves as my formal request for an appeal of the State Department's press office decision denying me credentials, as a blogger, to attend your daily press briefings.

Considering the White House press office in March began granting daily press passes to bloggers, I think State should forthwith follow the example of allowing bloggers access to media briefings. If bloggers qualify as journalists worthy of admission by the White House into press briefings, why should State have a different standard on this matter?

As I said in my original request to your office for press credentials, I am a political writer and blogger who will be in Washington later this month and would like to attend State's press briefings while in town.

But Ms. Leslie M. Phillips, one of your associates, left a voice mail message for me on August 4, in which she said the public affairs office will not grant me press credentials because bloggers are not considered by State as part of the mainstream media.

This is the transcript of Ms. Phillips' message:

"Hi Michael. This is Leslie at the State Department press office.

"I want you to know I looked into your question and right now our policy is that the general public cannot attend press briefings, and we consider bloggers to be still in the public realm, not being an employee of a mainstream news organization.

"So unfortunately you're not going to be able to come in to attend the briefings.

"Of course, you're welcome to get the transcripts and view them on our web site when they're completed.

"If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call and we can discuss further, but that is the current policy. 202-647-2494. Thank you."

I'm the sole employee of my blog, which, granted, is not mainstream in the traditional definition, but I nonetheless report news of interest to readers both in the U.S. and abroad. Therefore, I feel entitled to be treated in the same manner as other journalists with a foreign beat.

In this day and age of bloggers covering politics, federal agencies and scores of social matters, and in effect providing news and analysis all too often overlooked by mainstream media outlets, I believe it's time for State to reconsider its rules governing who gets to attend daily press briefings.

Please reverse the decision prohibiting me from attending State's daily press briefings while I'm in Washington.

Again, I request a daily press pass to get into your briefings with reporters, as a veteran blogger covering matters related to U.S. foreign policy and gays.

Sincerely,
Michael Petrelis

^^^

[Original request for State Department press credentials.]

August 3, 2005

State Department
Office of Press Relations
2201 C Street, NW
Room 2109
Washington, DC 20520-6180

Re: Press Credentials Requested

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am an independent political writer with a blog and I write today to request press credentials so I can attend State Department press briefings.

You can visit my blog at http://mpetrelis.blogspot.com to verify my status as a political writer and blogger.

I will be in Washington later this month and will need a daily press pass in order to attend State Department briefings on the following dates: August 22, 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 31 and September 1.

Please advise me on how to obtain the proper press credentials for these dates, before I depart from San Francisco.

If you have any questions about my request, please call me at 415-621-6267. You can also email me at mpetrelis@aol.com.

Thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this request.

Regards,
Michael Petrelis

No comments: