Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I'm 64 in Gay Years: Still Need Me?

Technically speaking, I'm 51-years young today. But in gay years, I'm really 64. Look, as a gay man who survived sex, drugs and rock 'n roll in late 1970s San Francisco and then the 1980s in New York City, I deserve to add a few years to my age. Plus I wanted a reason to reference the Beatles' "When I'm Sixty-Four" classic song.

What are the most important presents I'm receiving today? From myself, I've received the gift of another day of no cigarette smoking. I quit the tobacco habit in July 2008 and it's a breathe of life to be cigarette-free.

The other great gift is my partner Mike Merrigan, my life-mate almost 15 years, who every day shares his love and happiness with me. I am blessed that Mike continues to make me laugh and smile, even when my sometimes crazy life becomes skewed or hard-edged.

The lads from Liverpool famously asked these questions, that lovers everywhere ask themselves:

If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

My hus-bear has never locked me out when I've come home that late, and he still needs and feeds me, as I metaphorically turn sixty-four. Who could ask for more?

Btw, today is also Ellen Degeneres' birthday. She's turning 52 today. Happy birthday, girl!


DavidEhrenstein said...

Well I'll be 63 on the 18th.


Michael said...

happy birthday to you, david. ain't it great to be alive and kicking? yes, it is!