Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Open Govt Foe Sup. Peskin Withholds Emails For Bogus Excuse

Whether they're a moderate or a progressive, certain members of the Board of Supervisors are foes of government transparency when I file public records requests for emails and other public files.

Supervisor Aaron Peskin, whom many label Napoleon of North Beach for his autocratic methods and short physical stature, lived up to his reputation recently, after I filed a request for all of his emails for June and July.


His legislative aide, Lee Hepner, who used to be a member of the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force and is a vice president of the Harvey Milk LGBT Democratic Club, which should be fighting for expanded City Hall sunshine, this week informed me Peskin is withholding responsive public records:

"As for the request itself, we will not be responding to the below request, the scope of which clearly exceeds the boundaries of reasonableness. [Citing a 1967 California Supreme Court ruling] . . .  we will not be responding to your records request, as it will substantially interfere with the orderly function of the Supervisor’s office and his staff."

I've lodged a complaint with the SOTF and intend to have them adjudicate this matter. Considering Peskin has three paid aides, including Hepner, and the board soon goes on recess for most of August, I don't at all believe complying with my request will in any way interrupt the function of this office.

Speaking of interruption, that's exactly what Peskin did to me during public comment time at the July 20 meeting of the Democratic County Central Committee.

Showing no concern for eating up my two-minutes of speaking time, Peskin interrupted me to tell me how to stand exhibiting evidence of his Napoleonic tendencies. Needless to say, I took extra time to make up for his interruption and lectured him and other DCCC members about keeping their mouths mute when it's public comment time.

Check out my vid from the meeting:


No comments: