Tuesday, January 02, 2007


Broadway Cares Donates $20,000 to ACT UP Anniversary Actions

Thanks much, Tom Viola and Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS!

Dear Michael:

Thank you for sending me your e-mail. I know we've met - or at least been in the same rooms a couple of times, but I don't think we've ever really had a conversation.

Nevertheless, I feel like we have now after reading your blog. You quote from Kusher's ANGELS IN AMERICA brought me to tears as well. I'd seen the play and movie, but forgotten the line. Certainly that rush of emotion is part of what prompted me to call Eric Sawyer.

He told me a bit about your fledgling plans and the meeting planned for January 11th. I won't be at the meeting. But I told Eric that he could count Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS for $20,000 in support of your efforts. He is writing a letter that I will attached to your blog to request the check. It has to be made out to a 501(c)(3) - which will be AFRICAN COMMUNITY SERVICES. So perhaps I should be in touch with someone there to make sure they create a "budget line" for the ACT UP events.

Michael, I often feel like I play an odd part in these last 20 years up here in the middle of "show queen heaven". While I have never been in action at places like the NIH, Wall Street, Jesse Helm's home or outside the White House (and the quilt displays I've been to just don't count), I admire the in your face courage of forcing people in action with their own discomfort, even as what we do up here often means I must be much more polite, grateful and ensuring a "win-win" for all.

(While never arrested for ACTING UP - I do have the distinction once in my somewhat hazy youth being arrested for "acting out". 2 days lock-up downtown. Fun.) So like I said, we've been in some of the same rooms.

Nevertheless, I am proud that BC/EFA can often use the millions it raises from very middle-of-the road theatre audiences and - and get it to the men and women on the front lines - who, as I told the BC/EFA, Board when they took me to task for an ACT UP donation a number of years back, "had the guts, comption and most importantly, smarts" to raise hell in a way that allows up all to sit here comfortably and feel good about being generous to people whose lives at one time were considered expendable by church, state and many we live and work with.

All the best, Michael. To you and all at ACT UP. Perhaps we will run into each other at one or the other events - and hopefully not over baloney sandwichs and apple juice.

Sincerely,
Tom Viola
Executive Director
Broadway Cares / Equity Fights AIDS

No comments: