Thursday, January 26, 2006

Paul Newman, Angela Davis, Ellen DeGeneres, Eartha Kitt & me

What do we all have in common? We share January 26 as our birthdays. Today is also Australia Day down under and Republic Day in India.

As someone who was told in August 1985 that I'd be lucky to see 1986 never mind beyond 1987, I treat each birthday as special and a victory over AIDS. Actually, I look at every day as a true present to be appreciated and celebrated.

Besides still being alive, a blessed gift no matter the day, what do I give thanks for on my forty-## birthday?

My wonderful partner Big Mike, a loving family and wide circle of friends who've stood by me through good and bad days, a drug cocktail that works, a DVD of Hungarian filmmaker Bela Tarr's monumental seven-hour and thirty-minute movie "Satantango," goddess Judy Garland's voice singing loud and proud on my CD player, and a copy of the Lincoln Group's $100 million dollar contract with the Department of Defense arriving today in response to my FOIA request a few weeks ago.

Yes, life is beautiful.

And if you want to wish me happy birthday, please do so, but make sure you address me as Poppa Petrelis. I've earned my weathered face and grey hairs.

No comments: